OTHERS AND GOD
Don't allow others to rule your life, allow God to rule your life concerning others.
Then Paul says to the church in Corinth - Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. - 1 Corinthians 10:24. Well, that seemed to blow my encouragement to bits until I read this verse in the New Living Translation - Don't think only of your own good. Think of other Christians and what is best for them. Did you catch the key word? "Only" is the key-word. We all know that each one of us will devote time and energy to ourselves, here the translation encourages us not to think "only of your own good", but to "think of other Christians and what is best for them." I like that translation better. Also notice it says for us to think of other CHRISTIANS. The world needs our attention, but sometimes some of the local Christian expressions give outreach so much attention that the Christians themselves are neglected.
Similarly Paul wrote to the church in Philippi and encouraged this body of believers - Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. - Philippians 2:3 Then again in the very next verse he continues - Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others. - Philippians 2:4 It is a mindset that leads to an attitude that leads to a lifestyle that Paul is promoting.
The key is to minister to others while not getting caught up in what you think the perception of others is of you. I know people like this. They think to much of this perception of others when they should have the Eyeglasses of God on and looking at their own deeds, their own development, and others - through those Godly lens.
So, what does God say in His Scripture about others? I'm glad I asked for you. Here is what my research found.
You can judge others, just be prepared to be judged in the same way.
- For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. - Matthew 7:2
- No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize. - 1 Corinthians 9:27
- But in the church I would rather speak five intelligible words to instruct others than ten thousand words in a tongue. - 1 Corinthians 14:19
- Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. - Ephesians 4:29
- And in the church God has appointed first of all apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then workers of miracles, also those having gifts of healing, those able to help others, those with gifts of administration, and those speaking in different kinds of tongues. - 1 Corinthians 12:28
- He must hold firmly to the trustworthy message as it has been taught, so that he can encourage others by sound doctrine and refute those who oppose it. - Titus 1:9
Be merciful and show others the way of Salvation.
- Keep yourselves in God's love as you wait for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ to bring you to eternal life. Be merciful to those who doubt; snatch others from the fire and save them; to others show mercy, mixed with fear-- - Jude 1:21-23
Prophesy to others, serve others, teach others, encourage others, and help with the needs of others.
- We have different gifts, according to the grace given us. If a man's gift is prophesying, let him use it in proportion to his faith. If it is serving, let him serve; if it is teaching, let him teach; if it is encouraging, let him encourage; if it is contributing to the needs of others, let him give generously; - Romans 12:6-8
There are a few others that Christians are not to emulate. Those individuals are any who are lazy, out of control, uninformed and do not display a lifestyle that separates them from the rest of the world after declaring their allegiance to God through Christ Jesus.
- So then, let us not be like others, who are asleep, but let us be alert and self-controlled. - 1 Thessalonians 5:6
- Do not be hasty in the laying on of hands, and do not share in the sins of others. Keep yourself pure. - 1 Timothy 5:22
In summary, apply the Golden Rule -
- So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets. - Matthew 7:12
This foundation, His foundation, should be our foundation and we should all receive our perspective from here.
Post a Comment